Frequently Asked Questions

I am here to help you.

What do you specialize in?

I help clients get out of one of the worst predicaments they can get themselves into – owing the government a lot of money.

What are your hours?

I meet by appointment only; call anytime during normal business hours.

Do you take walk-ins?


Are you accepting new clients?


Do you offer a free consult?

I will talk to you at no charge over the phone to answer your general questions about the IRS Collection processes. Specific questions as to your best options depend upon the financial analysis of your situation and cannot be done without first doing the work.

When do you expect to get paid?

In advance, before I start work.

Do you take credit cards?


What return on investment should I expect for my investment in your service?

Zero return. My job is to minimize the impact of the IRS on your life while working on a solution that eliminates the problem for both you and the IRS. I want to make the best deal possible with the government on your behalf, but this is not something you should categorize as a financial investment.

What happens if I am not satisfied with your service?

Simply request that I terminate our services. The first thing that will happen is that I will notify the IRS to revoke your Power of Attorney appointing me to represent you. Secondly, I will return any original documents (not copies) that I might have. Most fees are non-refundable unless specified otherwise in our original engagement letter.

What services do you offer?

I represent people who owe the IRS lots of money. Sometimes these claims by the IRS are justified, and sometimes they are erroneous. I do the analysis work to determine what the best options are for the client. Once I have a strategy, I do the talking with the IRS to negotiate the best deal we can get with the IRS.

Do you prepare tax returns?

I do prepare returns where they are required to fix my client's IRS problem. Typically, this is amending returns or filing multiple years for non-filers.

Do you represent people under criminal investigation?

Not directly. You need an attorney to represent you if you are concerned about possible criminal actions. I do not have the right to privileged conversations that an attorney has and could be forced to testify against you. I can work indirectly with you by having your attorney hire me to help him or her provide for your defense.

How do I get a quote?

Just call. My preference is to work with a fixed fee agreement. Unfortunately, some problems, such as delinquent payroll tax cases, simply cannot be estimated and require a retainer with hourly rates.

How do you charge?

All of my services require payment in advance. You can pay by credit card through PayPal if you like.

When is the work performed?

The initial phase, in most cases, involves an analysis of the client's financial condition using the same information that the IRS will require from the client. Once I have the completed analysis, I can recommend the best options for that client. The work on this step cannot happen until the payment has been received and all the requested financial records have been received.

What documents do I need to provide to you?

Lots. These documents are related to what you own and your expected future cash flow. These same documents will be required by the IRS for an Offer-in-Compromise, less than full-pay Installment Plans, or proof of an inability to pay.

What if I don't know what I need?

I will send you a list of the documents needed to do the analysis work and those required by the IRS.

Do you provide customer service by phone, email, or both?

Absolutely, whatever method the client is comfortable with, including Zoom. In-person meetings must be scheduled in advance.

Does the IRS accept less than full payment of tax debts?

It all depends upon the financial situation. If their analysis shows that the taxpayer can pay the debt in full, they will make every effort to get it. The IRS has collections powers that go beyond those of commercial debt collectors. Most IRS personnel take their purpose of representing the government's interests seriously and do not freely write off balances due unless they can be convinced it's in the government's best interest.

How long does the IRS have to collect past-due tax balances?

The statute of limitations for collections is ten years. However, lots of things can extend that time, including filing for bankruptcy, proposing an offer-in-compromise, or submitting a request for a payment plan.

What can the IRS do to enforce collections?

They have lots of tools. They can seize bank accounts and investment accounts, including IRAs and pension money. They can order your employer to send a big chunk of your paycheck directly to them. They can and will file lien notices wherever you have real estate.

Can the IRS ruin my credit?

It's not their intention, but they very likely will file a notice of federal tax lien with your local courthouse. This filing will have a negative impact on your credit and trigger an avalanche of mail offering to get you out of your mess for 'pennies on the dollar.'

Can I set up a payment plan on my own?

You certainly can. Go to the IRS information page on Streamlined Installment Agreements for more information. If you qualify, they do not require any financial information.