Strategy 6 – Taxpayer Advocate Service

What do you do when you know the IRS is wrong and creating a financial hardship as a result? The cheapest answer is the Taxpayer Advocate Service also known as the TAS. You can file, an appropriately numbered form, Form 911 to explain the situation. A TAS representative will give you a call back within 48 hours to discuss your issues.

The TAS does require that you make every effort to resolve the situation before contacting them. This means you must have already done the following:

    1. Spoken with the Collection Division
    2. Spoken with the Group Manager
    3. Excised your appeals rights for a CDP or Equivalent Hearing
    4. Used the Collection Appeals Process

The best-case result from contacting the TAS is that they will cut through red tape and go straight to the right people. The worst-case result is that you will receive great advice on your options to proceed. This is an easy and worthwhile step when you can’t seem to get the IRS to recognize they are in error.

Author: Jim Payne

Jim Payne, a Florida Certified Public Accountant (CPA) since 1976, offers candid insights on getting square with the IRS — with the least pain, and at the lowest cost — with (or without) the help of a tax representative. Mr. Payne is a former IRS agent and expert in business profitability, IRS audits, IRS payroll tax, and IRS non-filer issues. As a Tax Representative, his goal is clear: " I will speak on your behalf to all IRS agents, so you never have to, and I'll guide you in executing a strategy to resolve your IRS problem so you can get back to enjoying life."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *